Are Real Christmas Trees Fire Hazards?
Christmas trees are important holiday decoration. Real Christmas trees can beautify a house, spread eye-catching elegance, and give your home a great holiday warmth and fragrance. Unfortunately, according to a report given by the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) real Christmas trees can be a serious fire hazard.
A fire caused by a Christmas tree has higher fatality rates compared to other fires. Researchers say that for every fifty-two Christmas tree fires, there is one death. The common causes of real Christmas tree fires come from lighting equipment or electrical distribution.
According to John Quevado, retired Battalion Commander of the New York City Fire Department, one of the big problems with Christmas tree fires is that Christmas trees burn very fast. They ignite and burst into flames like a bomb went off.
To ensure that your house is not at risk for a real Christmas tree fire, you can take the following precautions:
- You should place your Christmas trees away from anything flammable, such as space heaters or candles.
- You should make sure that any lights that decorate your tree are not damaged or defective in any way. If you identify that your lights have bent prongs, frayed wires, or cracked plugs, do not use them.
- Never leave any electronics or lights on your Christmas tree plugged in while unattended. Remember to unplug decorations on your tree every night before you go to sleep.
- Never leave your kids or pets unattended around your Christmas tree for a long time.
- You should make sure that your real Christmas tree is sufficiently hydrated. Dried Christmas trees are more likely to catch fire, making them more serious fire hazards.
Christmas holidays should be a time for happiness and celebration, not for loss and tragedy. Please remember to follow all the precautions that we have given you to avoid any Christmas tree fires at your home. We want you to have a safe and healthy holiday season.
Roger’s Security Systems is an authorized Honeywell dealer and has been providing both residential and commercial security services and video surveillance equipment for over 20 years.
If you have any questions about this article or would like to talk to us about your security needs, please call us on our toll-free number, (800) 823-8635 or email us at email@example.com.